History of Fairport Electric
1867 Village of Fairport was incorporated.
1901 A small steam generator was installed on what is now Liftbridge Lane East and began service in January. Electric service was only available from one hour before sunset to one hour after sunrise. The generator cost $28,000 and served about forty homes and twelve street lights in the center of the village. In March, a proposition was passed by vote of Fairport’s residents to create a Municipal Commission to oversee the electric and water utilities. The original members were F.S. Defendorf, C. Clarence Moore and H.H. Howell.
The population of Fairport was 1800 at the time.
1906 Fairport Electric began generating power 24 hours per day.
1908 C.J. Sullivan was appointed Utility Superintendent.
1915 Fairport Electric served 688 customers. Fairport’s peak load was 0.22 MW (the equivalent of 3 – 100 watt light bulbs per customer during peak load).
1925 Fairport Electric discontinued generating electricity and began purchasing power from Niagara Mohawk. Fairport Electric had 1,305 customers. Fairport’s peak load was 750 kW.
1935 Fairport Electric served many customers outside the Village of Fairport by this time. Total customer base was 1,600 customers with a peak load of 1.3 MW.
1945 Total number of customers was 1,950 with a peak load of 2.15 MW.
1952 Two 7.5 MVA transformers with two circuit switchgear were installed at Lawler Substation.
1955 Total number of customers was 2,700 with a peak load of 5.0 MW.
1962 Fairport Electric discontinued the purchase of electricity from Niagara Mohawk. The municipal commissioners contracted to purchase newly available electricity from the Robert Moses Hydroelectric Generating Plant in Niagara Falls, operated by the New York Power Authority.
1965 Total number of customers was 3,603 with a peak load of 9.4 MW.
1967-68 Transformer banks 3 and 4 were added at Lawler Substation. This increased system capacity to 47 MVA.
1975 Total number of customers was 9,004 with a peak load of 28.9 MW.
1977 Energized transformer banks 1 and 2 at the newly constructed Hogan Road Substation. This increased system capacity to 79 MVA.
1980 The total number of customers was 10,322 with a peak load of 48.83 MW.
1984 Energized transformer banks 3 and 4 at Hogan Road Substation. This brought the system capacity to 145 MVA.
1985 The total number of customers was 11,566 with a peak load of 71.3 MW.
1995 The total number of customers was 14,450 with a peak load of 100.1 MW.
2000 The total number of customers was 15,159 with a peak load of 109.28 MW.
2003 Dedication of Fairport Electric Service Center
2008 Fairport Electric becomes a partial requirement customer of the New York Power Authority. Fairport Electric joins the New York Municipal Power Agency. NYMPA is a joint action agency of 34 Municipal members with electric systems similar to Fairport.
2010 Energized SCADA system (supervisory control and data acquisition) to control Hogan and Lawler Substations.
2011 Energized transformer banks 3 & 4 at Lawler Substation which were replacements from 1967, added 25 MVA of capacity to the system to bring the total to 165 MVA. The total number of customers was 16,714 with a peak load of 113,918 MW.
2016-2018 Upgraded Hogan Substation including the replacement of transformer banks 1 and 2.
2018 Dedication of Wilke Substation in memory of the late Superintentent, Mitch Wilke (Hogan Road Substation).
2019 NYPA names Fairport the first EVolve NY Acclerator Community for Electric Vehicle Adoption
Currently Fairport Electric serves over 17,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers with a peak load in excess of 115 MW forecasted for this winter. Operating average monthly revenue from the sale of electricity is approximately $1,200,000. There are 44 Fairport Electric employees serving a geographic area of about 26 square miles and population of about 46,000.