Village Tree Board
Scavenger Tree Hunt
The Village of Fairport Tree Board invites you to participate in the second annual Scavenger Tree Hunt starting August 1 through August 31st, 2021. This year’s hunt takes you by 14 trees, each will be marked with a green ribbon. When you find one, check out the attached Tree Card. In the upper left corner of each card, you’ll find a blue box listing one of the parts of a tree. Record each tree part on the back of this worksheet to help you solve this year’s puzzle! Submit your answer via email, or dropping off at the Village Hall. A winner will be drawn from submitted answers and a tree will be planted in the Village in their honor. The scavenger hunt map and puzzle can be found HERE.
For questions or more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Village of Fairport has received the Tree City USA designation each year since 2003. This award program has been established by the National Arbor Day Foundation to recognize cities, towns, and villages that develop and invest in comprehensive urban forestry programs.
Village Tree Board Members:
- Matthew Brown, Chair
- Jane DeMeis
- William Maier
- Monica Phillips-Reagan
- Natasha Besch-Turner
- Zakery Steele (Alternate Member)
In serving as “caretaker” for the more than 3,400 trees sited on Village property and right-of-ways, Fairport has met or exceeded the four required standards for the Tree City USA designation including:
- A legally constituted Tree Board;
- A Village tree ordinance;
- A comprehensive forestry program supported by a minimum investment of $2 per capita per year; and
- An Arbor Day proclamation by the Village Board and an Arbor Day observance.
Shade which provides savings on air conditioning costs, cools parking lots, and reduces fumes from engines and fuel tanks;
- Acting as a windbreak which can reduce fuel consumption and provide energy savings in winter;
- Reducing stormwater runoff and soil erosion;
- Filtering and reducing air pollutants;
- Providing a calming effect on vehicle traffic; and
- Increasing property values.